What’s IS Public health education?
What is health:
Health refers to normal body functioning in a steady manner. One of the most important things about health is to maintain it. In this regard “Public Health Education” plays very crucial role.
Purpose of Public Health Education:
The purpose of Public health education is to help people of society make better health choices; to help health counselors more effectively engage in experimentally proved practices; and to help societies protect and promote population health through counseling and policy initiatives. Public health education aims to advance knowledge of public health measures and implement the most effective strategies for health educations. The goal of public health education and promotion is to strengthen and specify public health infrastructure and systems. It is based on the premise that educating the public, policymakers, and workforce professionals is fundamental to ensuring an effective public health system.
There are numerous companies and organizations working for public health education. WHO (world health organization) is on the one of prime importance. Public health education is now emerging as a separate professional field. Main purpose is to enlighten the essential nutrients that are compulsory to sustain healthy life.
Essential nutrients include following:
There must be the presence of these elements in normal range amount.
Role of diet:
Health is mainly dependent on the way of intake of diet. Balanced diet is the key to maintain normal health. It is well defined that body needs energy to perform work to maintain health energy gain must be equal to energy loss. Imbalanced energy levels may result in diseases. Diet consists of two type of NUTRIENTS.
- Macronutrients: macronutrients are required in larger quantity in body. These are also called essential nutrients Energy should be gained from essential nutrients as from 55% from carbohydrates 15% from proteins and 30% from lipids.
- Micronutrients: Others (vitamins and minerals) are micronutrients; required in lesser quantity but are essential for normal metabolism. Micronutrients also include elements like zinc ,iron, sodium, phosphorus etc. Public must be aware of these requirements.
Tips to maintain health:
- A healthy daily diet plan must include diet portions from all food types:
- 6- At least 8-12 glasses of water are recommended for a normal person per day.
- 11 servings means major portion from whole grain (bread,cereals)
- 2-3 servings of fruits
- 3-5 servings should be from vegetables
- A glass or two of milk
- 1 portion of meal must include meat ( beef or mutton or chicken)Oily and fat containing products should be sparingly used
- No smoking at all
- Try to intake fiber rich food
- Iron rich foods are specifically required for females and children.
- Always try to use iodized salt
Public health education leads to the awareness of public about health measures and make their lifestyle healthy by making them prone to diseases. Healthy people give rise to healthy society and ultimately a healthy country that is why it is of core importance to educate public about health.